Login Register

Ashiq Ali Australian Migration

Principal Agent Currently in Sri Lanka, Call now for an appointment

Hotline : +94763191143

Student Visa

Students coming to Australia must study at accredited institutions and these are listed on a Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (‘CRICOS’) with each course available to overseas students given a CRICOS Code.

The Australian Student Visa allows you to study and work in Australia for a period equal to the duration of your Course plus one month (28 days after the last day of class). The applicant needs to be at least 6 years old when making the application.

A Student Visa can be associated with:

  • Language Courses (eg: General English, IELTS Preparation et Cambridge, etc..).
  • Professional Courses (VET Courses, Vocational Education & Training).
  • Undergraduate Courses (Bachelor degree, Master’s and PhD).
  • To be granted a Student Visa, prospective students must meet requirements relating to their financial capacity, English language proficiency, and educational qualifications.

The student visa program changed significantly on 1 July 2016. There is now only one student visa subclass (subclass 500) plus a student guardian subclass (subclass 590). All applications are lodged online and applicants can be onshore or offshore at the time of application (but if they apply onshore, they cannot be the holder of certain visas).

Risk Matrix

The new system instead relies on an immigration risk framework to determine what evidence is required. This takes the form of a matrix of two risk factors – one being the passport held by the applicant and the other being the education provider’s immigration risk rating.

This is the first time that the education provider has been a part of the assessment process for a student visa. Based on their performance over the previous 12 months, each provider has been allocated a risk rating between one (lowest risk) and three (high risk). These have been calculated using the following risk indicators and weightings:

  1. Rate of visa cancellations for students attending that institution (25% weighting)
  2. Rate of refusals due to a fraud reason where the applicant lodged overseas (40% weighting)
  3. Rate of refusals (excluding fraud) where the applicant lodged overseas (10% weighting)
  4. Rate of student visa holders becoming unlawful non-citizens (15% weighting)
  5. Rate of subsequent protection visa applications (10% weighting)

The ratings are not published by DIBP but there is an online tool to confirm their risk level based on their passport and the proposed course.

Genuine Temporary Entrant

The requirement that an applicant for a student visa is a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) was introduced into the Migration Regulations on 5 November 2011 and this requirement continues to be a criterion for the new student visas.

The assessment of GTE takes into account the applicant’s circumstances (such as their situation in their home country, academic record and links with Australia) and immigration history. Key factors are as follows:

*The field of study and its relation to the applicant’s previous study and employment

*The value of the course to the applicant’s claimed future employment, including expected remuneration after the course is completed

*The applicant’s knowledge of living in Australia and their intended course of study.

Contact us now to check your eligibility, Call us on 0763191149 (Sri Lanka) or +61425771047 (Australia).

General Skilled Migration – Services for Australia Skilled Migrant Visas

Are you a skilled professional, tradesperson, or university graduate?

Do you want to live and work in Australia long-term or permanently?

Then a visa from the General Skilled Migration Program may be the right option for you.

Are You Eligible?

You may be eligible for an Australian skilled migrant visa if you are qualified to work in occupations that are currently in demand in Australia or in one of the Australian states. You don’t need to be sponsored by an employer, but you do need to:

  • pass the Skilled Migration Points test
  • have “competent” English as measured by an approved test provider
  • obtain a positive skill assessment
  • be under 50 years of age

General Skilled Migration Program Visa Options

There are currently four visa options in the General Skilled Migration Program. Some of these are permanent visas, while others are provisional (temporary). If you’re granted a provisional visa, you may be eligible for a permanent visa at a later date. (click the titles for more information)

  • Skilled Independent Visa – Subclass 189
  • Skilled Nominated Visa – Subclass 190 (State/Territory Nominated)
  • Skilled Regional Provisional Visa – Subclass 489 (State/Territory Nominated)
  • Skilled Regional Provisional Visa – Subclass 489 (Family Sponsored)
  • Employer Sponsored Options
Contact us now to check you eligibility, 0763191143 ( Sri Lanka), 0425771047(Australia)

Work Visas


There are several visa options that allow businesses to sponsor overseas workers to work in Australia.


Employers can be either Australian businesses or overseas businesses. This visa is for employers who would like to employ overseas workers to fill nominated skilled positions in Australia.

With this visa you can employ overseas workers for a period of between three (3) months and four (4) years in occupations that appear on the Skilled Occupation List. Note for start up businesses the initial visa period available is 12 months.

Employer & Position Requirements for the Temporary Skilled Visa

An employer needs to be approved as a sponsor in order to employ skilled workers from overseas.

If you are an employer with a business that operates in Australia, you must meet benchmarks relating to the training of Australian citizens and permanent residents.

Generally you must demonstrate the equivalent of 1% of gross wages is or will be spent on training per annum.

If you are an employer with a business that has no formal operating base or representation in Australia, you may apply to bring employees to Australia to do one of the following:

establish a business operation in Australia

fulfil obligations for a contract or other business activity in Australia.

Note: Overseas Business Sponsors do not need to be operating in Australia but may need to meet other employer eligibility requirements.

From 27 June 2009, there has been a requirement for sponsors under subclass 457 visa program to attest that they have a strong record of, or a demonstrated commitment to:

employing local labour


non-discriminatory employment practices

To meet this requirement, there must be nothing adverse known about the business or a person associated with the business.

Employee & Position Requirements for the Temporary Skilled Visa

As an employee, you must meet all the following requirements:

be sponsored by an employer to fill a genuine nominated position

have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background which match those required for the position

have English language skills equivalent the position. Passport holders of certain countries do not have to satisfy this requirement

be eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the nominated position if necessary.

be able to demonstrate that you are to be paid at least the minimum salary level that applies at the time a decision is made on your visa and at a level consistent with an Australian employee in the Australian labour market

You can apply for this visa while you are in Australia, only if the last visa you held is on the prequalifying list.

Skills assessment

Australia requires all visa applicants to satisfy the criteria for grant of their visa, thus Subclass 457 visa applicants must satisfy certain skills requirements.


The Regional Sponsored Migration allows employers in regional or low population growth areas of Australia, to sponsor employees who are foreign nationals for a permanent visa to work in Australia.

Who is eligible for the Regional Skilled Migration Scheme? The employees applying for a visa can be either of the following:

skilled workers from overseas

skilled temporary residents currently in Australia

Visa applicants can apply in or outside of Australia for this visa.

Note: ONLY applicants who hold a substantive visa or relevant bridging visa when applying for this visa in Australia will be eligible for a bridging visa.

Other Requirements for the Regional Skilled Migration

Direct Entry

A regional certifying body must first certify the nominated position against the following criteria:

Business must be actively and lawfully operating in Regional Australia

The position must be available for a minimum of two (2) years

The business requires a person for the nominated position and satisfies the market rate requirement

In addition to the above, the department will also assess the application against the following criteria:

the nomination has been approved by the relevant Regional Certifying Body

the business follows all relevant Australian laws and has a satisfactory record of meeting immigration laws (if applicable)

the nominated position is in a business operated by the employer

the position is being remunerated in accordance with relevant workplace legislation and awards.

The Employee must:

have the relevant qualifications and/or work erxperience for the nominated position which are equivalent to the Australian standarad (Skills Assessment may be required in some circumstances)

meet any mandatory licensing, registration or professional membership requirements which allow you to work unsupervised and without further training

have been offered a full time position for a fixed term of at least two years (supported by evidence of a contract or letter of appointment signed by both the employer and the employee)

be under 50 years old

have Competent English language ability

Note: Exemption of certain requirements is available.

Temporary Residence Transition stream

If you have already worked for your nominating employer for two years in Australia, your skills do not need to be assessed.

You must have at least vocational English. No Regional Certification is required for this stream.

This stream is available only to people who hold a subclass 457 visa. People who hold other 400 series visas may qualify to apply for a permanent residence visa through the Direct Entry stream.


The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) allows Australian employers to sponsor employees who are foreign nationals for a permanent visa to work in Australia.This visa is for Australian employers who want to sponsor highly skilled workers for a permanent visa to work in their business. The employee can be either a highly skilled worker from overseas or a highly skilled temporary resident currently in Australia.

Who is eligible for the Employer Nomination Scheme?

Visa applicants who currently are in or outside of Australia and have a prospective sponsor can apply for this visa.

Employer & Position Requirements for the Employer Nomination Scheme

To participate in the Employer Nomination Scheme, the employer must:

be actively and lawfully operating a business in Australia

have a genuine need for a paid employee to fill a position in their business

follow all relevant Australian laws and have a satisfactory record of meeting immigration laws (if applicable)

have met training benchmark requirement

provide the employee with an offer of permanent employment

The nominated position must meet the following requirements:

be full-time, ongoing and available for at least 2 years

provide working conditions that are no less favourable than provided for under the relevant Australian legislation and awards

be a highly skilled occupation that is on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL) and it must meet the minimum salary level for ENS

Partner Visa

The Australian Partner visas category is one of the most common pathways for immigration to Australia. It provides genuine couples with viable option to settle in Australia, which helps lead to permanent residence.

This visa (previously known as a Spouse visa) allows people who are in a relationship with an Australian Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident, or eligible New Zealand Citizen, to be sponsored for a visa to live in Australia.

There are three different types of Partner visa;

  • *Partner (Marriage) visa - legally married to the sponsor;
  • *Partner (De Facto) visa - in a de facto relationship (living together like a married couple) with the sponsor, for a period of at least 12 months immediately before lodgment of the application, unless the relationship has been registered as a Civil Union or Partnership (as recognized in Queensland, Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Victoria or Tasmania only); and
  • *Prospective Marriage (Fiancé) visa - they are engaged to be married to their sponsor, have personally met since they turned 18, and are free to marry.

Partner visa applications can be lodged online or by paper, and can be submitted while the applicant is in Australia (onshore) or overseas (offshore). The Fiance visa must be lodged while the applicant is outside Australia. Offshore applications are processed by the Australian Embassy responsible for the applicant's usual country of residence (or country of passport, if they are usually resident in Australia) Are you prepared to convince the case officer about the genuineness of you relationship? Do you know when you first met your partner? Does your family approve your relationship? Is your relationship official? Do you share household responsibilities?

Contact Us for further assistance 0763191143 (Sri Lanka) or 0425771047 (Australia)

Visit Visas & Resident Return

If you wish to go to Australia for tourism, seeing your relatives or friends, pre-arranged medical treatment or short-term study (3 months or less) and your intention is not to work during your stay, you may apply for a visitor visa.

This category of visa has been designed for people who want to come to Australia for:

  • Tourism (sightseeing)
  • Seeing relatives or friends
  • Pre-arranged medical treatment or consultation
  • Short-term study

There are four Visitor Visa classes:

Short stay Visitor

This class for a stay of 3 months or less, and includes the following subclass: Tourist (short stay) – to sightsee, travel, visit friends and relatives, care for a dependent who is in Australia on a student visa, and be involved in other short-term non-working activities.

Long stay visitor

This class for a stay of 3 months or more, and includes the following subclass:

Tourist (long stay) - to sightsee, travel, visit friends and relatives, care for a dependent who is in Australia on a student visa, and be involved in other short-term non-working activities.

Long stay visitors are usually given a 6 month stay in Australia. Exceptions can include aged parents visiting children (up to 1 year stay) or a parent caring for a young child enrolled in formal studies ( 11 months renewable each year for the length of the course)

Medical treatment

This class is for medical treatment, either elective or emergency. Anyone accompanying you must also apply for a medical treatment visa. This class includes the following subclasses:

Medical treatment (short stay) – for stay of 3 months or less

Medical treatment (long stay) – for stay of more than 3 months

Sponsored Visitor

If an Australian citizen or permanent resident is going to guarantee your stay, you can apply for this class visitor visa. This visa is for a stay of 3 months and less, and allows only one single entry. It includes the following subclasses:

Sponsored Business Visitor (short stay)

Sponsored Family Visitor (short stay)

This class of Visitor Visa includes a mandatory condition 8503 - no further stay. This means that you will not be able to apply for another visa while in Australia and your sponsor may be requested to lodge a security bond. The amount of the security bond is generally between A $5,000 and A $10,000


The Resident Return Visa (RRV) allows permanent residents to regain or maintain their Australian permanent resident status if they re-enter Australia. (Former Australian permanent residents and former Australian citizens are also eligible.)

The validity period was reduced as of 15 February 2012 from five years to one year for cases where the applicant did not live in Australia for at least 2 of the last 5 years.

Thanks to this change, a holder of a permanent visa will receive only a one-year RRV if they have not lived inside Australia for 2 of the last 5 years but can still show "substantial" Australian ties. Substantial ties are defined as business, employment, cultural, or personal ties that benefit Australia.

Those who lived outside Australia for more than five years continuously since their most recent permanent visa was granted will be required to show their absence was for a compelling reason.

People who do not meet RRV requirements can still apply for a 3 Month RRV, which is usually granted to allow travel by permanent residents with imminently expiring visas, without a 5 Year RRV eligibility. Applicants for 3 Month RRVs must show a compassionate and compelling reason for their departure from Australia. Additionally, if they've been outside Australia for three or more months continuously prior to making the application, they will have to show a compassionate and compelling reason for the absence.

If you have spent at least two of the last 5 years in Australia, you will still receive a 5 Year RRV. If you do not meet this requirement, expect to receive a 1 Year RRV. If you are not eligible for this visa, you can still apply for a 3 Month RRV. Those who meet the requirements for none of the RRVs may still be eligible if they are partners with or dependent family members of an RRV holder.

Australian immigration officers also have a degree of discretion with respect to granting visas for applicants that are contributing to the Australian economy yet who don't completely satisfy residence requirements.

Holders of Residence Return Visas must notify the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) in the event that they change their passport after the visa is granted. Failure to provide DIAC with details of any new passport you are using to travel to Australia may cause significant delays, and may even make you miss your plane.

The basis for requiring a Residence Return Visa is the rule that only Australian citizens have an automatic right to enter Australia. Permanent residents may live in Australia indefinitely, however they must be sure they have the ability to return if they wish to travel outside the country

Family Visa

Parent Visa

If you are the parent of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen and you can satisfy the Balance of Family requirements you may qualify to apply.

There are a limited number of parent visas available each year for both Temporary and Permanent parent visas in ‘Contributory’ Parent and Parent categories. Contributory Parent visa applicants are required to make a substantial contribution for their visa, however they are processed ahead of those in the Parent category and are more readily available.

Remaining Relative Visa

This visa is suitable for those people whose only remaining near relatives live in Australia.

To be eligible, the applicant’s parents, step-parents, brothers, sisters and non-dependent children must be Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens.

Child Visa

This is a permanent visa for children under the age of 25 who wish to live in Australia with their parent. The child’s parent must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, and can lodge the visa application on behalf of the child.

Children over the age of 18 must not be (or previously have been) married or engaged, or in a de facto relationship. To be eligible for this visa, those over 18 must be in full-time study and must also be financially dependent on their sponsoring parent.

Business Visa

If you are looking at establishing an office in Australia, purchasing a business in Australia or migrating to Australia as a business owner or investor, it is critical to get the right immigration advice upfront.

Having a sound immigration strategy upfront can streamline matters significantly, and ensure that you meet your goals in starting a business in Australia.

There are a variety of Australian work visas that business people can obtain for themselves or their employees, including:

Temporary Visa categories:

Business Innovation and Investment (Provisional) Subclass 188 Visa

This is a 4-year provisional visa available to business owners and investors. There are 5 different streams including Business Owner, Investment Linked, Significant Investor, Premium Investor and Entrepreneur.

Business Visitor Visas

If you wish to visit Australia for 3 months or less to attend business meetings or to explore business opportunities, you may be interested in applying for a business visitor visa.

Residence Visa categories:

Business Talent (Migrant) Visa

Business Talent (Migrant) visas are granted to people with an overall successful business career as the owner of a business or people with Venture Capital funding in Australia. There is no need to apply for a provisional visa before applying for this permanent visa.

Business Innovation and Investment (Residence) Subclass 888 Visa

This is the permanent stage of the Subclass 188 Provisional Business Innovation and Investment. It requires applicants to have established business operations in Australia or to have maintained an investment in bonds

Australian Citizenship

Australian citizenship is an important step in your migration story. Becoming an Australian citizen means that you are making an ongoing commitment to Australia and all that this country stands for. It is also the beginning of your formal membership of the Australian community. It is the step that will enable you to say ‘I am Australian’.

Australian citizenship is a privilege that offers enormous rewards. By becoming an Australian citizen, you are joining a unique national community.

Australian Citizenship options are available if you are one of the following:

  • born overseas to an Australian citizen
  • adopted by an Australian citizen
  • migrant with permanent residence
  • spouse or partner of an Australian citizen
  • New Zealand citizen living in Australia
  • child of a former Australian citizen
  • Commonwealth Child Migration Scheme arrival
  • Refugee or humanitarian entrant
  • person born in Papua before independence in 1975

The final legal step in the journey to become an Australian citizen, for most people is to make a Pledge of Commitment at an Australian citizenship ceremony. Generally, you will be invited to attend a citizenship ceremony at your local council within 3 months of being approved, although waiting times can vary. As an Australian citizen you must always leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport. If you also have a passport from another country you can use that for travel once you have left Australia